Php Sessions is expiring too fast in Slim4

Hi Guys,

I am using php session in my current slim 4 project like this

session_start();

$_SESSION['userinfo'] = [Some kind of user inform];

My session is getting expired every hour, I tried so many things to keep session alive for more than months like this

/* 
Keep User Session Live 
*/
// use cookies to store session IDs
ini_set('session.use_cookies', 1);
// use cookies only (do not send session IDs in URLs)
ini_set('session.use_only_cookies', 1);
// do not send session IDs in URLs
ini_set('session.use_trans_sid', 0);ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime',60*60*24*365);
ini_set('session.gc_divisor', '1');
ini_set('session.gc_probability', '1');
ini_set('session.cookie_lifetime', 60*60*24*365);

What should I have to do ?

`

As far as i know session.gc_maxlifetime is what is needed for active session info. have you tried using a final amount ie 87000 or rather

(60*60*24*365)?

Yes I tried, but still it is expiring.

A session in php is basically just a cookie with a default expiry time. Arent you better off setting a cookie instead? (That way you can set the age). A session timeout will be reset on every request to the “system”.

I “think” you can check a sessions timeout using phpinfo() (to make sure things like php.ini / htaccess aren’t forcing it)

Might be of some use: PHP: session_set_cookie_params - Manual

$lifetime = strtotime('+24 hours', 0);
session_set_cookie_params($lifetime);
session_start();

Just fyi the setting needs to be set before you call session_start()

// use cookies to store session IDs
ini_set('session.use_cookies', 1);
// use cookies only (do not send session IDs in URLs)
ini_set('session.use_only_cookies', 1);
// do not send session IDs in URLs
ini_set('session.use_trans_sid', 0);ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime',60*60*24*365);
ini_set('session.gc_divisor', '1');
ini_set('session.cookie_lifetime', 60*60*24*365);
session_start();

//php 7 and higher
// This sends a persistent cookie that lasts a day.
session_start([
    'cookie_lifetime' => 86400,
]);

Same, after one hour session expiring.

You sure there is nothing in your middleware triggering the session kill?

No, There is nothing.

PHP performs random garbage collection of outdated session data.

When a session opens, PHP will call the gc handler randomly according to the probability set by session.gc_probability / session.gc_divisor in php.ini . For example if these were set to 5/100 , it would mean a probability of 5%.

If the garbage collection handler is invoked, PHP will pass the value of session.gc_maxlifetime , meaning that any stored session that was saved more than gc_maxlifetime seconds ago should be deleted. This allows to expire records based on idle time.

However, some operating systems (e.g. Ubuntu/Debian) do their own session handling and set the session.gc_probability directive to 0 to stop PHP doing garbage collection.

You can configure these settings by passing gc_probability , gc_divisor and gc_maxlifetime

// The time in minutes the session should be valid for.
$timeout = 86400;

// The number of seconds after which data will be seen as
// "garbage" and potentially cleaned up
ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime', 60 * $timeout);

// the probability that the garbage collector (GC) process is 
// started on every session initialization. 
// The probability is calculated by using gc_probability / gc_divisor, 
// e.g. 1/100 means there is a 1% chance that the 
// GC process will start on each request.
ini_set('session.gc_divisor', '100');

You need to set your own session directory (session.save_path directive). Otherwise, any other PHP process running on the same machine can set a shorter expiration time and remove its data files together with yours.

1 Like

Check the web server for a CRON job that cleans up session cookies.

This was already mentioned by @FvsJson, but you might try setting session.save_path to a different directory than PHP’s default. One way to see what the default path is by checking the return from session_save_path() .

You should not set session.gc_divisor and session.gc_probability to the same value. By using 1 for each of those you are triggering garbage collection every time you start a session. PHP’s session garbage collection is slow. Forcing it to run so often will make your site less responsive. The recommended value for session.gc_divisor is 100.