Routing fails when parent .htaccess performs an internal redirect

I’m creating my first php restful web serivce using Slim 3.0 and I am having some trouble with the routing when I have an internal redirect. I’d like to setup my web service so that it can:

1. be deployed to any folder without requiring configuration changes
  2. be accessed through a published url that may not match the physical location on the web server

As a test I have setup the following scenario…

The .htaccess file in the server root contains:

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/subfolder/ 
RewriteRule ^(/)?$ /subfolder/index.html [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/subfolder/ 
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f 
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d 
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /subfolder/$1 [L]

The web service is located in /subfolder/api and it’s .htaccess file contains:

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^ index.php [QSA,L]

In index.php there is a single routing handler for hello/{name}.

My expectation was that I would be able to use a url such as /api/hello/everyone and for that to be rewritten to /subfolder/api/hello/everyone which would then be rewritten to /subfolder/api/index.php. The url rewriting does work as expected but the Slim routing fails and I receive a 404 Not Found.

To avoid the error I can:

1. Access the web service by defining the physical location in the request url (i.e. use /subfolder/api/hello/everybody instead)
  2. Modify index.php so that the routing includes the location of the web service /api/hello/{name}
  3. Modify createFromEnvironment() in Slim/Http/Uri.php so that $requestUri is initialised with REDIRECT_URL rather than REQUEST_URI.

I’m not keen on solution 1 and 2 above, can anoyone offer any alternative solutions?
Would you consider this a bug in the Slim Framework?

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.